- Renmark, South Australia
- Renmark Paringa Council
Central to the vision is the transformation of Renmark’s riverfront open space - the town centre’s greatest asset. Unlike many River Murray towns, the river is right on the doorstep of Renmark’s commercial and civic heart. Concepts for the new riverfront focus on:
- creating a high quality regional destination to draw residents and visitors
- further enhancing the riverfront as an events space
- improving visitor facilities with a new Information Centre in the heart of town
- supporting the transition of Murray Avenue into an ‘eat street’
- feature lighting of Renmark’s art deco and heritage buildings
- water play, BBQs and family recreation, to make the riverfront the go-to open space for local people and visitors.
Jensen PLUS led a small, experienced team to develop the framework, which includes a public art strategy - ‘at the edge’, wayfinding concepts, transport planning, and advice on economic development through fostering business relationships and opportunities, and by increasing zoning flexibility. Engagement with the local business community and with residents underpinned the process. This included a three day ‘Make My Place’ workshop held in December 2016 where the whole team worked locally to develop ideas, and to share their experiences of comparable projects from around the country.